For the impatient: the short version …
For those that are impatient and more experienced, you can follow the following steps quickly.
For beginners I recommend to continue reading the following paragraphs which explain a little bit more about what’s happening.
- Install HandBrake.
- Install codecs and libdvdcss (see below).
- Start HandBrake.
- Insert DVD.
- Open the “Source” in HandBrake (the DVD).
- Select “Title“.
- Click preferred “Preset” – possibly fine tune settings
- Click “Start“.
- Drink a cup of coffee and eat a cookie – a.k.a. wait and pretend to be patient.
Tools we need to Rip a DVD
When using HandBrake, we have all we need in one application, for proper working though we need a few extras, libdvdcss being one of them (to decrypt a DVD).
Most Linux distributions, like Ubuntu, come with some sorts of package management tool, where APT is probably one of the most popular ones. To install HandBrake for Ubuntu (11+) open a shell and type:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
- Line 1: Add the HandBrake repository to APT
- Line 2: Update the APT package list
- Line 3: Install HandBrake
- Line 4: Get additional tools and codecs (libdvdcss included)
- Line 5: Install additional tools and codecs
Other Linux distributions might work in a similar fashion – I’ll be the first one to admit that I’m not a Linux expert.
本文：Linux 视频转换: DVD 转 MP4 – HandBrake – Copy a DVD to MP4 or MKV file